Ultimate Guide To Hiring a South Shore & Boston-Area Exterior House Painter
CertaPro Painters® of the South Shore and Boston
Ready to make a change?
Ultimate Guide To Hiring a South Shore and Boston-area Exterior House Painter
There are many reasons to hire an Exterior Painter for your Boston and South Shore home. This guide will help you understand the process and help you more easily narrow down your choice of painting contractors.
Let’s jump right in.
- Chapter 1: Deciding to paint your South Shore home’s exterior
- Chapter 2: How to choose an exterior painting company on the South Shore
- Chapter 3. Services offered by Boston-area exterior painting companies
- Chapter 4: Getting inspired to paint (the fun part!)
- Chapter 5: The final decision – choosing a South Shore exterior painter to hire
- Chapter 6: The Painting Process
- Chapter 7: Licenses, certifications, insurance and safety protocols an exterior painter needs to work in Massachusetts.
- Chapter 8: What’s next?
Chapter 1: Deciding to paint your South Shore home’s exterior
In this chapter we’ll explore the following topics:
How do you know if you need to paint your home’s exterior?
The benefits of painting your home’s exterior.
How our harsh New England Climate affects painting outdoors on the South Shore and in the Boston-area.
Chapter 2: How to choose an exterior painting company
You’ll learn how to best find a Residential Exterior Painter from the following places:
- Online reviews – how to easily sort through all the review sites.
- Getting quotes – what to look for in this process (hint: The behavior of the painter at this stage often foreshadows the rest of the project).
- Details of the quote – What should be included in a good exterior painting quote?
- Read Chapter 2
Chapter 3. Services offered by exterior painting companies in New England
This chapter will cover:
- Defining the scope of the exterior painting job so that all exterior painting companies are bidding on the same project (we call this “apples to apples bidding”).
- Which services does a typical South Shore and Boston-area house need, and how often?
- Secret (free) services a painter may offer if you know to ask.
- Setting your exterior painting budget
Chapter 4: Getting inspired to paint (the fun part!)
In this chapter you’ll learn:
- Working with a designer or color consultant to get the colors just right.
- Subtle paint touches that’ll make your home stand out from your neighbor’s.
- Where to find a designer on the South Shore or in the Boston-area if your painter doesn’t offer one.
Chapter 5: The final decision – choosing a Massachusetts exterior painter to hire
If you’ve never hired an exterior painter in the South Shore and Boston are before, you might need to understand the following:
- How the quoting process foreshadows what’s to come when you hire a painting company.
- Why to almost never accept a “time and materials” bid.
- Why wallpaper removal CAN and might be quoted as “time and materials.”
Chapter 6: The Painting Process for your South Shore and Boston-area home
- Communication with your painter is key.
- The details and stages of the painting process from power washing to the final clean up.
- Changing your mind (it happens!)
- Change orders or add-ons to the initial project
Chapter 7: Licenses, certifications, insurance and safety protocols an exterior painter needs to work in Massachusetts.
- Because you want the painters and your family to be safe, you’ll need to make sure your Boston area Commercial Painter has the correct licenses and insurances to work in Massachusetts including:
A RRP or EPA lead certification if your home was built before 1978 or is known to contain lead.
An insurance policy that is in force (hint: some smaller exterior painting companies don’t pay their insurance bill, so while they may have a Certificate of Insurance to hand to you from a previous month, they may have no actual insurance!)
An umbrella insurance policy – a good sign!
A Massachusetts General Contractor’s license if they are doing work for you other than just painting (like carpentry or building a deck).
Checking any safety violations with OSHA.
A written and consistently used safety program
Chapter 8: What’s next?
Now that you’ve built your foundation of knowledge of exterior house Painting in the Boston region, you can:
Print off a handy PDF of this whole guide so you can refer to our checklist and tips throughout the process of hiring a house painter.
Contact your first Boston House Painting Contractor for your first quote.