Color Trends for Condos and Apartment Buildings
Posted on August 8, 2017
Keeping your multi-family property looking fresh and inviting is important if you want to attract new customers and keep existing residents. Anne Diedrich, interior designer at Sherwin-Williams, believes a well-thought-out color scheme can provide distinction in a crowded market.
Color speaks to the heart and the mind; it makes a statement and creates a first impression. The paint color you choose can say “Come on in!” or “Run for your life!”
But let’s face it, choosing the right colors for a multi-family facility can be a challenge; you aren’t trying to please just one person, but a multitude of people (both residents and their guests), and painting or repainting a multi-family facility is a big investment, so you don’t want to make any mistakes.
Here are some tips for choosing the right paint colors for both the interior and exterior of your multi-family facility.
Exterior Paint Colors
Diedrich says, “You have one chance to make a great first impression. With all the technology people use to look for homes ― from tablets to smartphones to computers ― exteriors really do need to make an impact, and not just in person.”
There are three main factors you’ll want to consider when choosing the exterior color of your condo or apartment building: the architecture of the building, the neighborhood and region, and your potential buyers or residents.
Trending exterior color combinations include…
- Coastal Calm – A combination of vibrant and clean colors that exude warmth with pastel flourishes that create a fresh, airy, and optimistic look.
- Urban Organic – Earthy, yet cosmopolitan colors that are totally fresh.
- Rustic Sun – A traditional southwestern palette with a rustic twist that includes browns, terra cottas, coppers and cactus greens.
- Warm Neutrals – Foundational hues of red, yellow, and browns undertones.
- Cool Neutrals – Foundational hues with blue, gray, and green undertones.
Interior Paint Colors
Ashley Banbury, Sherwin-Williams color specialist for the multi-family market, says a common misconception is that walls in a multi-family unit must be white. That simply isn’t true. When choosing interior paint colors, consider the demographics of your residents. Generally, older individuals prefer warmer neutral colors while younger people tend to be drawn to cooler neutrals.
Today, people – particularly Millennials – are spending more time in the common areas socializing with their friends and neighbors, and they want those rooms to feel like home. If you want to go beyond the neutrals, here are three trending interior color combinations…
- Global Adventure Palette – Global saturated hues paired with earthy neutrals.
- Soft Minimalism Palette – A dusty collection of tinted neutrals influenced by stillness.
- Virtual Pop Palette – Colors inspired by the high-energy pops of color in our virtual world.
CertaPro Painters® recognizes what is important to property managers when it comes to painting. We complete work on time, on spec, and on budget. We specialize in apartments, residential property management, HOAs, and condominiums. Plus, we offer a free professional color consultation to help make your color selection process simple and stress free. Visit certapro.com to request a proposal for your next painting project.