Make Your Home Look Beautiful for the Holidays
A fresh coat of paint will make your holiday guests feel right at home.
- Home improvements during the holidays don’t have to be stressful
- Create a cozy space for out-of-town guests with a few quick, easy projects
- Paint your home to give it a renewed look
- Color schemes for holiday guests combine creativity and comfort
The holidays are quickly approaching and though it’s a special season, shopping for gifts, decorating every inch of your home, and baking cookies all day can add some unwanted stress to what is supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year. If hosting out-of-town visitors is also in your holiday plans, well that’s one more thing to add to your already very lengthy list.
Sure, the holidays can be stressful but one thing that can be stress-free is updating your home to be holiday-ready for your loved ones. There are many ways you can use decorations to spread holiday cheer but why not welcome your guests with a new interior paint job.
Here are our tips for easy holiday home renovations that will save you time and money, and give you back time better spent with friends and family!
Update the Guest Room with a Fresh Coat of Paint
Your guests will want to have a good night’s sleep and feel just as comfortable in your home as they would in their own. The holidays are the perfect time for a quick guest room makeover. Though choosing a paint color for any room can be tough, with the guest room you can certainly have a little fun with the color selection since it is not typically a room that is utilized often.
Some guest room paint colors to consider:
- Jewel Tones: Rich, glamorous colors like deep ruby or enchanting emerald can give any room a luxurious feel. Complete the look with lavish bedding and premium candles to pamper your guests.
- Linen White: Warmer than bright white and softer than beige, linen is the perfect neutral. It will make your guest room feel completely relaxed in this Zen oasis.
- Soft Blue: Pale blues work with a variety of décor. In the hustle and bustle of holiday season let your guests end their day in a room that gives off a sense of peace and tranquility.
- Cool Grey: If your guest room gets a lot of natural sunlight, then grey might be the perfect neutral for you. Grey is the true chameleon of colors and has so much flexibility that a room with a lot of sunlight will really bring life to the space and give you an opportunity to really experiment with patterns, accents and overall décor. We love the perennial favorite of Gray Owl from Benjamin Moore. It’s the perfect greige that looks good in every setting and every light.
- Sunny Yellow: If your room is lacking in natural light, compensate with a bright, vibrant color that guests can’t help but smile once they settle in. Offset the bright walls with lots of bright white bedding and fun accent colors in turquoise, or tone it down with accents in a sophisticated gray.
Not sure which way to go? Our trusted advisors can help you out with a free color consultation. Just tell us what you’re thinking, and we can show you what the finished room will look like before you commit to a color.
Give The Bathroom A Refresh
Did you know that Americans spend an average of 30 minutes a day in the bathroom? It’s important to make that space comfortable and cozy for your guests; all it takes is a quick coat of paint.
If you want a neutral look that strays from the obvious off-white option consider a trendy “greige”. A paint color that blends grey and beige, which creates a surprisingly adaptable neutral, creates a sense of serenity. Bright hues are another great option. A pop of red or a splash of robin’s egg blue can really make a statement against a stark white bathtub.
Remember, you don’t have to change your bathroom just to suit your out-of-town guests. You’ll be spending a lot of time in that room as well so be sure to paint it a color you can live with all year round.
Add An Accent Wall
Deciding to repaint your interior does not have to be an all or nothing kind of job. If you’re short on time and can’t commit to repainting the entire room consider choosing one wall in a particular room to change and watch how your new accent wall gives the space a whole new look.
Painting the wall behind a unique feature, like a fireplace or bookshelf, is a great way to draw the eye to that location. To really wow your guests, think about painting the wall behind your Christmas tree a bright and vibrant red to really make that forest green pop!
The best part? An accent wall is a minimal commitment with a maximum impact. If you decide later that you no longer like the color it’s an easy fix that takes almost no time at all to remedy.
Get Creative With Color Blocks
As an alternative to an accent wall, try the fun trend of color blocking. Though it has a little more detail involved than just putting paint on a wall the outcome is so worth the effort. To begin, depending on the look you want to achieve, first choose the kind of shape you like. Shapes can include anything from circles and squares to rectangles, and everything in between.
Using painters tape hang the shapes on the wall in your desired pattern and fill the spaces with the color or colors you choose. Remember to choose a color scheme that compliments the main wall color. Tone-on-tone gives a sophisticated feel while vibrant contrast gives a more original look. Imagination is the only limit when it comes to color blocking.
Paint Festive Stripes
A classic stripe design, whether they’re vertical or horizontal, can add interest and depth to everyday spaces. All you’ll need is some painters tape and a steady hand.
A few rules of thumb:
- Try to keep the colors of a similar luster, both light or both dark. High contrast tends to overpower the room.
- For a sophisticated feel, keep the colors in the same family (i.e., two different shades of blush).
- Stripes don’t have to be straight up and down. Specialty painters tape makes it easy to paint a chevron or a wavy line.
- Lastly, remember that a vertical stripe can make a room look taller, while a horizontal stripe will make it appear wider.
If you’re worried about whether your stripes will end up crooked or not exactly level consider bringing in a professional. With an expert painter this quick and easy project takes just a couple of hours and creates a look that can last years.
Preparing your home for the holidays can go beyond stringing up twinkling lights and hanging festive garland. Updating your space with a new paint color, whether it’s just one wall or the entire room, is a sure-fire way to breathe new life into your home.
Before you begin your holiday home improvements, give CertaPro Painters® a call. We recognize how vital a homeowner’s interior aesthetic is; not just during the holiday season, but all year round.
Our paint professionals will take the time to really listen to your needs and will be there to guide you at every stage of your painting experience. From the initial consultation with our color experts to the precision and attention to detail that is applied by our skilled painters, CertaPro will be there to guide homeowners and relieve any stress and worry that an interior update may bring.
Our goal is to make your home the warm and welcoming space you envisioned and that your guests are looking forward to. We want you to truly relax and enjoy the holiday season with those closest to you without any worry.
Contact us today for a free estimate.