FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Answered by CertaPro Painters® of Salt Lake City, UT.
Ready to make a change?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Welcome to our FAQ page! Here you will find the answers to our most frequently asked questions.
How do I get an estimate for painting my home? Most professional painting companies will offer you a free in-home estimate. You can sign up for a free in-home estimate here or call us at 801-747-1027.
How do I find a good house painter? No need to look any further, you’ve found us! Don’t want to take my word for it, read our Google reviews.
Here is a list of things to consider when hiring a professional house painter:
1. Get a couple quotes for comparison – and be home for the initial meeting with them. A house painter should take the time to assess the job. Did they arrive on time? How easy was it to arrange the appointments? Do they have the company logo on their vehicle and are they wearing a uniform? Be sure to ask each painting contractor about the size of his crew and the members’ experience level. What is their timeline for production?
2. State your expectations. The number of coats a painter applies isn’t the only factor in determining the quality and price of the project. Preparation is also key. If you want a surface that’s free of unevenness from past paint jobs, tell the contractors and be prepared to pay extra. If you can live with some imperfections, agree on what level of prep is acceptable.
3. Get estimates. Seek a written estimate from each contractor. It should include the number of coats of paint, if primer will be used, the brand of paint along with a detailed description of the prep work that will be done. When you make a comparison of the final prices of different painter’s bids, make sure they were bid in the same way (same scope of work, same quality of product, same number of coats, etc.)
4. Check online reviews and references. Look at current and older reviews. Are the reviewers listing the names of the individuals who did the work? If so, they made a connection with the people at their home and felt comfortable having them there. Do they talk about clean-up and showing up on time, respect for their property, good communication? You want someone who will deliver not only a great paint job but also a great experience. You may see less-than-favorable reviews. You can’t please all the people all the time, so it’s all about how the pro handles any issues. Look for review responses. They can tell you a lot about how a business values its customers!
5. Consider credentials. Verify whether the pro has the appropriate license(s). You will find the licensing information for your state on the Contractor’s License Reference website. Also, check with the Better Business Bureau or the attorney general’s office in your state to learn whether the contractor has a history of unresolved complaints.
6. Look for a guarantee/warranty. The painter should promise to correct any chipping, peeling, blistering, flaking, or excessive fading or chalking that occurs within two years after the job is done at no or little cost. If you are told the paint itself has a warranty, remember that does not include labor.
7. Finally, don’t pay the whole bill upfront. Withhold a portion of the payment until you have checked that the job has been completed to your satisfaction. Typically, you can expect to pay a 50% deposit upfront.
Should house painters have insurance?
YES! Reputable and professional house painting companies should carry insurance to protect themselves, their workers, and you! Be sure to get a copy of the painter’s liability and workers’ compensation insurance certificates. Usually, copies of their certificates are attached to the estimate. If the company does not have coverage, you, as the homeowner, could be liable for any accidents, for example, the crew drops a ladder on your neighbor’s car, or a crew member falls off a ladder and is injured.
How do I choose paint colors for my house painting project? There are numerous ways to select the right paint colors for your project. You can DIY it and get ideas online by visiting websites like Houzz or visiting your favorite designer’s blog on sites like HGTV or the DIY network. Another way is to look at homes in your neighborhood, are there any color combinations that you like? Consider knocking on that door and asking them what color they have painted their house. If you would rather seek a professional opinion, CertaPro Painters offers a color consultation at no additional charge if you choose us as your painter. This is a great way to get professional advice and be sure you are choosing the right color combination for one of your most valuable assets.
What are the current popular colors for home exterior painting? In the Mountain West, earthy and neutral colors are always popular. We are still seeing people choose grays, but there is some movement towards warmer colors. Blues and greens are often used and high contrast white and black has been popular recently. It is important to keep a few things in mind when choosing a paint color for the exterior of your home. While it’s good to be creative and have a look of your own, you don’t want to clash with the surrounding homes. This will hurt not only the value of your home but also the value of properties in your neighborhood, and that could result in upset neighbors! On the practical side, light colors are good for reflecting the sun’s heat on the exterior of your home and making interior areas feel brighter and larger. They will however show dirt more readily. Darker colors can make a large space feel more cozy/homey.
How much will it cost to paint my home? Costs vary greatly depending on several factors: square footage, number of stories, quality of paint and number of coats, same color or color change, number of colors/sheens used, type of substrate for exterior painting, trim, and number of windows and doors.
How long will your paint job last? On average 5-10 years, however, keep in mind there are several factors that go into the durability of an exterior paint job on a home. The prep work done prior to painting will dictate how long the paint will hold up. Climate and surface also play a significant role in how long the paint can last. For example, with large swings in seasonal temperatures, and a lot of direct sunlight, paint can deteriorate much faster. Your home is one of your biggest investments so when you’re ready to paint the exterior of your home, you should hire a professional painting company that uses quality products.
How do you know when it’s time to paint the outside of your home? There are a few obvious signs to watch out for, like cracking and chipping paint, but there are also some less obvious things that can cause problems too. Exterior painting is a big job, so it’s always a good idea to hire professional painters if you can.
How often do I need to paint my house? Every home is different so there is no simple answer to this question. As mentioned above, there are several factors that can impact longevity.
Some surfaces can be expected to need painting more often.
Wood siding – every 3-7 years painted and every 3-4 years for transparent stain
Aluminum siding – about 5-10 years
Stucco – typically lasts 5-10 years
Painted Brick – can last 5-10 years
Cement Fiberboard siding can go 5-15 years before repainting.
Is there a warranty for painting the interior/exterior of a house? A limited warranty covering workmanship is for 2 years from the completion date of the job for both interior and exterior painting. A professional painter should be willing to repair peeling, blistering, or chipping paint resulting from defective workmanship at little or no cost to the homeowner. The paint itself falls under the manufacturer’s warranty, between 15-25 years and some even offer a lifetime warranty. If you are told the paint itself has a warranty, always remember that workmanship warranties are separate. Be sure to ask for it in writing and always read the limitations.
How long does it take to paint a house? Painting the exterior of your home can take as little as a week up to several weeks depending on: the size of the home, the number of stories, the type of material being painted, the same color or color change, the amount of prep work needed in advance of painting, using a large professional painting crew or DIY, and obviously weather can be a factor. A crew of 2- 3 professional painters could paint an average size home in about a week. Ready to find out how long it will take to paint the exterior of your home? Call or fill out our online form for a free in-home estimate today!
How long does it take to paint a room? This depends on: the square footage/size of the room, height of ceiling, is the area occupied or empty, the amount of prep work involved, painting a room the same color(s), or changing the color(s), and also if you are painting the ceiling and trim or just the walls. Here at CertaPro Painters of Salt Lake City, we would be happy to come out and give you an estimate on your project. Call us or fill out our online form for a free in-home estimate today!