FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Answered by CertaPro Painters® of Palatine, Il.
Ready to make a change?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Welcome to our FAQ page! Here you will find the answers to our most frequently asked questions.
How do I get an estimate for painting my home? Most professional painting companies will offer you a free in-home estimate. You can sign up for a free in-home estimate here or call us at 847-963-1820
How do I find a good house painter? Here is a list of things to consider when hiring a professional house painter:
- Call at least three different contractors for a bid – and be home for the initial meeting with them. A house painter should take the time to assess the job. Even the most experienced painter will need more than just a quick walk around your home. Be sure to ask each painting contractor about the size of his crew and the members’ experience level.
- State your expectations. The number of coats a painter applies isn’t the only factor in determining the quality and price of the project. Preparation is also key. If you want a surface that’s free of unevenness from past paint jobs, tell the contractors and be prepared to pay extra. If you can live with some imperfections, agree on what level of prep is acceptable.
- Get estimates. Seek a written estimate from each contractor. It should include a breakdown of labor, material costs, the number of coats of primer and paint, the brand and model of materials along with a detailed description of the prep work that will be done.
- Check online reviews and references. Get a list of references from each contractor and call them to find out about their experience with the pro. A history of positive references is a good sign. Be sure to look at their online reputation as well. Look at current and older reviews. Online reviews are also a good place to find out how the business handles customer complaints! You will likely see a small number of less-than-favorable reviews. You can’t please all the people all the time so it’s all about how the pro handles any issues. Look for review responses, that can tell you a lot about how a business values its customers!
- Consider credentials. Verify whether the pro has the appropriate license(s). You’ll find the licensing information for your state on the Contractor’s License Reference website. Also, check with the Better Business Bureau or the attorney general’s office in your state to learn whether the contractor has a history of unresolved complaints. Be sure to get a copy of the painter’s liability and workers’ compensation insurance certificates. If they don’t have coverage, as the homeowner, you could be liable for any accidents, for example, the crew drops a ladder on your neighbor’s car or a crew member falls off a ladder and is injured.
- Look for a guarantee/warranty. The painter should promise to correct any chipping, peeling, blistering, flaking, or excessive fading or chalking that occurs within two years after the job is done at no or little cost. If you are told the paint itself has a warranty, remember that doesn’t include labor.
- Hold out. Finally, don’t pay the whole bill upfront and withhold a portion of the payment until you have checked that the job has been completed to your satisfaction. Typically you can expect to pay 25 to 50 percent of the total job cost upfront.
Should house painters have insurance? YES! Reputable and professional house painting companies should carry insurance to protect themselves, their workers, and you! Be sure to get a copy of the painter’s liability and workers’ compensation insurance certificates, usually, copies are attached to the estimate. If the company doesn’t have coverage, as the homeowner, you could be liable for any accidents, for example, the crew drops a ladder on your neighbor’s car or a crew member falls off a ladder and is injured.
How do I choose paint colors for my house painting project? There are numerous ways to select the right paint colors for your project. You can DIY it and get ideas online by visiting websites like Houzz or visiting your favorite designer’s blog on sites like HGTV or the DIY network. Another way is to look at homes in your neighborhood, are there any color combinations that you like? Consider knocking on that door and asking them what color they have painted their house. If you rather seek a professional opinion many professional painting companies will offer a color consultation with a professional designer, often for no cost if you sign a contract with them to do the painting. This is a great way to get professional advice and be sure you are choosing the right color combination for one of your most valuable assets.
Which painters offer color consultations? Choosing paint colors for your home can be a daunting task. Fortunately, many professional painters offer a free color consultation if you have a signed contract with them. Here at CertaPro Painters® of Palatine, we offer color consultation services.
What are the current popular colors for home exterior painting? Some of the most popular colors currently are blues and grays with white shades as the accent for trim. Other popular colors are cream, beige and green. Brown is also popular if you are looking for a darker color. It is important to keep a few things in mind when choosing a paint color for the exterior of your home. While it’s good to be creative and have a look of your own, you don’t want to clash with the surrounding homes. This will hurt not only the value of your home but also the value of properties in your neighborhood, and that could result in upset neighbors! Light trim is good for reflecting the sun’s heat and lighting effects. Also, if you have a large home on a small lot, light-colored homes can make this size difference even more dramatic. Darker tones can help balance the home and land.
How much will it cost to paint my home? Costs vary greatly depending on several factors in your city and state, square footage, number of stories, grade of paint and number of coats, same color or color change, type of siding for exterior painting, trim, and number of windows and doors.
1. How long will your paint job last? On average 5-10 years; however, keep in mind there are a number of factors that go into the durability of an exterior paint job on a home. The prep work done prior to painting will dictate how long the paint will hold up. Climate and surface also play a significant role in how long the paint can last. For example, with large swings in seasonal temperatures, and a lot of direct sunlight, paint can deteriorate much faster. Your home is one of your biggest investments so when you’re ready to paint the exterior of your home, you should hire a professional painting company that uses quality products.
2. How do you know when it’s time to paint the outside of your home? There are a few obvious signs to watch out for, like cracking and chipping paint, but there are also some less obvious things that can cause problems too. Exterior painting is a pretty big job, so it’s always a good idea to hire professional painters if you can.
3. How often do I need to paint my house? Every home is different so there is no simple answer to this question. Most paint manufacturers say that a good rule of thumb is to paint every five to ten years. However, this depends on factors such as the climate where you live and the quality of the previous paint job. Another factor is the type of surface being painted or stained.
Wood siding – every 3-7 years painted and every 4 years for stain
Aluminum siding – about 5 years
Stucco – typically lasts 5-6 years
Painted Brick – can last 15-20 years
New types of materials – need to be touched up less often; for example, cement fiberboard siding can go 10-15 years before repainting.
4. Is there a warranty for painting the interior/exterior of a house? A limited warranty covering workmanship is for 2 years from the completion date of the job for both interior and exterior painting. A professional painter should be willing to repair peeling, blistering, or chipping paint resulting from defective workmanship at little or no cost to the homeowner. The paint itself falls under the manufacturer’s warranty, between 15-25 years and some even offer a lifetime warranty. If you are told the paint itself has a warranty, always remember that workmanship warranties are separate. Be sure to ask for it in writing and always read the limitations.
How long does it take to paint a house? Painting the exterior of your home can take as little as a week up to several weeks depending on many factors: the size of the home, the number of stories, the type of material being painted, the same color or color change, the amount of prep work needed in advance of painting, using a large professional painting crew or DIY and even weather can be a factor. A crew of 3 professional painters could paint an average size home in about a week. Ready to find out exactly how long it will take to paint the exterior of your home? Call or fill out our online form for a free in-home estimate today!
How long does it take to paint a room? This depends on a number of factors: the square footage/size of the room, the amount of prep work involved, painting a room the same color(s) or changing the color(s), and also if you are painting the ceiling and trim or just the walls. Here at CertaPro Painters® of Palatine, we’d be happy to come out and give you an estimate on your project. Call us or fill out our online form for a free in-home estimate today!