Is It Better To Paint or Carpet First?
This is an very common concern when it comes to starting an interior painting project. Unfortunately, there really is no right answer, but there are advantages and disadvantages to each approach:
Pro’s and Con’s of Painting First
- Don’t have to worry about getting paint on your new carpet (this rarely happens and the paint can always be removed).
- Allows you to better paint the baseboards.
- It is common for walls and/or trim to get damaged in the process of laying down carpet. It can either be a slight touch-up or a full repainting of your walls and having to extensively repair any trim. The extra painting and repairs can drive up the price of each room that is a part of your painting project. Unfortunately, little touch-ups are not very common, so it’s more likely that you will have to have the whole wall repainted if it is damaged.
Pro’s and Con’s of Carpeting First
- Damage to walls and trim by carpet installers is rarely an additional charge to your painting job since surfaces have to be patched and prepared anyways
- Paint can get on your new carpet which can ruin it. Although it is very unlikely to happen, it is still a possibility and we do have insurance to cover it if it does happen.
- It is hard to paint trim since carpet will get in the way. Usually, the carpet is pulled back so we are able to paint behind, meaning we will not be able to paint the baseboard very well. That being said, once the carpet is back in place, it will not be seen.
Whichever way you choose to approach your home improvement project, CertaPro Painters® of Midlothian and NW Richmond, VA can help. Schedule a free estimate with us today to get start!