What to do in a Power Outage
As we discovered in the aftermath of Hurricanes Marco and Laura, being unprepared for a power outage, can be dangerous. Thankfully, there are steps you can take before, during, and after a power outage to help keep both your family and your home safer.
Before a power outage:
- Charge any battery powered devices including your cellphone.
- If you have an electric garage door opener, make sure you know how to use the manual release.
- To keep food cold during a short power outage, buy ice ahead of time or freeze water in plastic containers
- Although technology can help you prepare for emergencies, it can also be unreliable during some emergencies. Click here to make sure you are tech ready
- Build an emergency preparedness kit.
During a power outage:
- To avoid damaging power surges, use surge protectors. Or even better, unplug your computers and appliances.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer doors closed. Food in an unopened refrigerator should stay cold for about four hours. Food in an unopened freezer should be okay for about 48 hours.
- If the power is out for any length of time, it can quickly turn your home into an oven. Wear lightweight, light colored clothing, and drink lots of water. Since heat rises, stay in the lowest part of your home.
- Don’t use candles: they can cause fires.
- If you have a generator, don’t run it inside your home or your garage.
After a power outage:
- Throw away food that has been in 40° F temperatures or higher for two hours or more or if it smells or looks funny. If you aren’t sure, throw it out!
- If the food in your freezer is 40° F or lower and has ice crystals on it, it can be refrozen. But again, err on the side of caution.
- Restock your emergency kit.
This hurricane season
As we continue to recover from Hurricanes Marco and Laura and prepare for any future hurricanes this season, CertaPro Painters® is here with you and available to help with our expertise whenever it is needed. In a world of increasing uncertainty, CertaPro Painters® delivers certainty – one job and one extraordinary customer experience at a time.
How Does CertaPro Painters® do this?
- First, we provide a detailed proposal.
- Then, before we begin painting the inside of your home, we cover all of your furniture and floors and carefully prepare your walls and ceilings.
- After painting, we inspect the site and walk you through the space to make sure that it exceeds your expectations.
- And we do this all while treating your home with the utmost care and respect. When we leave your home, other than the fresh coat of paint, you’ll never know we were there.
- Contact us today for a free estimate for any exterior or interior painting projects you have.